Why do I need to get an exam and cleaning every six months?
- Based on research, it has been shown that for the average person, the best way to keep your gums and teeth in optimal health, a professional exam and cleaning is necessary.
- Simply, when one cleans their own teeth, a small amount of plaque remains and that over time that plaque turns into tartar (calculus). Once that happens, the tartar has to be removed professionally.
- An exam is necessary in order to catch disease as soon as possible so it does not advance.
Why are radiographs (x-rays) taken?
Radiographs are taken in order to see within the teeth. This allows the dentist to see caries, bone loss, etc.
What is the difference between a digital radiograph (x-ray) and a film based radiograph?
- A digital radiograph takes the picture onto a sensor which then sends the image/x-ray to a computer were it can be seen, adjusted, and stored.
- The amount of radiation used for a digital radiograph is about a third of a film based radiograph. As a result, one is exposed to a lot less radiation.